Wednesday, May 27, 2009


Well, the Corvair I was working on just rolled out the door leaving me with a few spare minutes. I decided to work on the engine since I am still waiting for seals for the transaxle. The picture on the left shows the oil slinger cover removed. It acts as a centrifigal oil filter by slinging the oil outwards toward the rim of the disk, trapping any dirt or sediment in the outer edges. You can see the crud in the right hand photo. I cleaned the crud out and bead blasted the other side. After painting the timing mark in red, I clear coated it and set it aside to dry. The nut lock was pried away from the nut and the nut removed with the cupped oil slinger. It was then a simple matter to slide the back of the oil filter off of the keyed shaft. All these parts were then taken to the parts washer and cleaned up. I then started unloosening all the nuts on the timing chain cover. They have to be loosened a little bit at a time because of the spring pressure of the oil pressure regulator behind it. When all the nuts were off, I removed the cover exposing the timing chain and sprockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment