Sunday, May 17, 2009

The last little details of the interior clean up. The hood release cable was removed, the blue paint carefully removed from the knob and the knob was polished. The cable was lubed and stored in a plastic bag for later installation. The manual throttle received the same treatment except it was just the housing, I'll have to fit a replacement knob and cable later. The chrome strip on the dash, the door sill moldings and the window weatherstrip holders were all removed, cleaned and buffed, then clear coated. The dash had holes for an older type radio, a big one for the dial and two small ones for the tuning shafts. They looked as though they were cut out with a can opener. I decided to open it up to hold a modern DIN type radio. Like I said it's my car and I can do what I want to! I also decided to remove all switches, indicator lights and other bits and pieces from the dash. There was a deep scratch in the ever so lovely BLUE paint that would take a long time to sand out so I decided to chemically strip the entire dashboard. After metal prep, de-greasing and drying, I sprayed a coat of primer on it to keep it from rusting until paint day.

2 comments:

  1. is the dash made of the same trademarked tissue paper thin sheet metal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I missed this when it was posted. The dash seems to be thicker than the hood or trunk, just about the same as the roof rails.

    Dave.. .

    ReplyDelete