Hooray!! All the hand color sanding is done, finally! Next is buffing and polishing then I can start re assembly.
Thursday, October 19, 2017
I hate to keep beating a dead horse by posting what seems like the same picture every time but I have been busy much of this week color sanding by hand. Great fun! I really love sanding. I only have the rest of this side to do, the front and the entire other side. My new sanding block and a fresh supply of 1000 grit wet or dry paper came in todays mail, so onward and upward.
Thursday, October 5, 2017
Monday, September 25, 2017
Okay, now for todays project. Since the car had to be moved over to the other side of the shop to allow a customer car in the working bay, I was concerned that the car would get scratched, dusty or some other nastiness so I decided that I needed to custom fit a car cover to the little car to protect it until I can get back to color sanding and buffing it. I think it turned out pretty good.
Although This is all posted today, it actually took place over a weeks time. I had been searching for a needed part for my heating system on the Bianchina with absolutely no luck. About two weeks ago in the middle of the night I had a sudden flash of inspiration on how to fabricate this part. The following is a step by step photo record of what I did. The part I needed is a two piece elbow that connects the motor cooling shroud to the heat exchanger on the front exhaust pipe. I am told that this is only on cold climate cars and apparently very few were made thus the scarcity of this part. I went online and found a 3 inch ID copper elbow and a 6 x 12 inch sheet of copper as shown below.
The elbow was cut in half and sanded flat on a large disc sander, the sheet was cut on my bandsaw. I then silver soldered the half elbows to the copper sheet. When cool they were roughly trimmed to size.
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
Backed it out to clean the shop. Only took two days! Not perfect but I can live with it. I have a Corvair coming in tomorrow so the little car will be on the other side of the shop for a while. As soon as I can I am going to instal the engine to make more room in the shop. After that I will start color sanding to prepare for buffing and polishing. It looked so good in the morning sunshine I had to take a picture.
Be back soon, promise.
Be back soon, promise.
Saturday, September 16, 2017
Sunday, September 10, 2017
Thursday, September 7, 2017
Monday, September 4, 2017
Saturday, September 2, 2017
Friday, September 1, 2017
Thursday, August 31, 2017
Wednesday, August 30, 2017
Hello out there-- anyone? Is anybody reading this still? Is anyone interested in my rottiserie that has been used on this project up until now? It is set up for any derivative of Fiat 500 but could be easily be fitted with adapters for any other micro car. It can be dis assembled even further for transport.
It rained all day yesterday so I wasn't able to do much with the car but today I was able to clear coat the undersides of the hood, engine cover and inside the trunk. Working up the ambition to start wet sanding the car with 600 grit wet or dry paper to get it ready for another coat of clear.
Well the visit to the paint store was interesting. I was told the best way to eliminate the runs is to sand it all down and respray it. Oh goody! More sanding to do. I decided that as long as I was there I would get the buffing compounds I would need after the final sanding.So-o-o $400.00 later, I was on my way home with clear coat, hardener and two grades of buffing compound. I also went online and found a supplier for the fresh air hoods. My old one was getting hard to see through, seems they should last longer than 20 years GGGG. I am also considering using some nib files on the runs, need to do more research on them.
Sunday, August 27, 2017
After lunch I removed all the masking and put the first coat of clear on the car. I ran out of paint before I was quite finished so tomorrow brings yet another trip to the paint store. I also was able to perfectly install a couple of runs in the clear so I will have to seek help at the paint store. I am sure I will have to scuff the finish before adding another coat of clear. RATS!
Friday, August 25, 2017
Tuesday, August 22, 2017
I started assembling the frame once I cleared the bay out. The doors to the car are under dust blankets on their roll around stand in the back.
I continued adding on to the frame unit lit was all assembled.
Monday, August 21, 2017
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Rainy days and the need to replace the entry door to the shop set me back a few days but "I'm Baack"! This is the first wash and smoothness test. Only found two or three small places that need a little touch up sanding.
I was also able to sand the steering wheel that I have mounted in a painting fixture that turns while spraying.
Sanding and second wash tomorrow if there is enough sunlight with the eclipse and all.