Friday, May 21, 2010

I started laying out the fender removal process by establishing a reference line that all measurements will be taken from. This is the top tape in the left photo. I then measured down and established the cut line, the bottom tape, allowing plenty of room for adjustment. With cut-off tool in hand, I cut along the line and roughly cut around the rest of the fender lip. I had previously drilled out the spot welds on the inside edge of the door opening, around the headlight ring and the few down the front under the ring. I also had to melt out the body lead and cut the brazed seam under the headlight. The rough edges need to be trimmed off and cleaned up then the new fender can be cut and fitted. I can only work for about 1/2 hour at a time so it might take a while.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Here are the photos of the new fenders and rocker panels. Obviously the fender is just hung on top for picture purposes and the rocker is laying just below where it goes. I have to figure out cut lines on the fenders and start removing the old one. I think I'm going to cut 2 inches below the crease on the old and 1 1/2 inches on the new to allow for "wiggle room". My plan is to flange the old fender edge and make a lap joint to weld. Might also add some stiffness. Oh, by the way, morphine and oxycodone is a magic potion! GGGG

Friday, May 14, 2010

Been a while since I've posted but I've had to deal with two deaths in the family, I had to have my dog put to sleep after 14 years of companionship, had a squamus cell cancer removed from my back, and to top it all off my back is out big time. I may be looking at surgery. We'll see. In a spurt of mis-guided optimism, I had ordered new front fenders and new rocker panels for the car. They have arrived and are in the shop. As soon as I am able I can get some pics but I don't know when I can work on them. Stay tuned.