Sunday, March 14, 2010

Just thought I'd post this to make me feel better about spending my money and time on this little car.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I decided to revisit the engine lid repair. I was never happy with it so I decided this was the time to change it. We're getting ready to make the hinges so I want the engine lid to fit as well as it can. The pic up there is how it was left-minus the cuts. I cut out all the crinkled metal that was caused by trying to close the lid with out releasing the hood prop .The underneath repair is satisfactory so I just replaced the top skin. As you can see it's not perfect and will require a skim coat of filler. I mounted the hold down latches on the lid and placed it in position using rubber shims to simulate the correct rubber blocks. After latching it in place, the measurements were taken for the new hinges and given to cousin George( the machinist, remember?)

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Today was a hard lesson on how to weld Kleenex. That is some light weight metal in this little car. I ended up using .023 wire on the lowest heat and speed and backed up the seam with copper to help avoid burn through. Finally got it done,cleaned, metal prepped and seamed sealed on the inside of the trunk. Any one with suggestions on MIG welding this light stuff jump right on in here and enlighten me---- Please! I am not looking forward to the fenders.

Monday, March 1, 2010

oday was busy with a lot of small stuff that really doesn't show up much. I POR-15'd the bottom of the inside trunk and the bottom inside of the new panel before welding them together, I seam sealed all the joints that I had cleaned off the other day and beat, hammered and otherwise adjusted the passenger side seat rails so the seat would adjust, It's amazing how far off they are from fitting correctly. Maybe the press they use to make them is worn out. Or maybe Luigi just doesn't care if it fits, it's going to America. With any kind of luck, tomorrow I'll start welding the panel on. Oh, and I removed two rusted in place broken bolts that are supposed to hold the bottom of the bumperettes on.