Saturday, May 26, 2018

I guess I should post a picture of the finished starter cable clip installed just to show that I AM still working on the little car. Tonight I am also making up a list of parts to order from Germany. Stuff that i can't get here in the states. I will order these as soon as I get paid for the present Corvair in the shop.

Sunday, May 13, 2018

It has been too long, I know, but I just got a few minutes to putter around with some small stuff that needed doing. I installed the chrome strip on the passenger side door and made up an extension clip for the starter cable (too short) Is anything correct for Fiats? I'm slightly embarrassed at how long it took to make this little clip and it still needs to be painted and allowed to dry overnight before installing it. I'll git'er done tonight. I need to start removing all the pieces that need to be sent to the chrome shop that I had to temporarily install to check the wiring circuits. Kinda hate to do it but when they go back on they will be shinier and have real gaskets, win-win.

Monday, March 26, 2018

A little more progress today. I installed the carpet, choke and starter control, console and burnt the holes for the seat belts. I also turned the car around in the shop so I could work from the passenger side. (no steering wheel in the way)

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Well, it took forever but it is done. All the wiring is in, everything works and I can now move on to the rest of the car. It had some bad switches, bad light bulbs, bad grounds and one of the sealed beams decided to die right in the middle of tracing all the circuits. That was when I discovered no one stocks plain sealed beams any more. A few places had halogen replacements but I didn't want them due to the 58 year old wiring design and light weight wires. I found new Wagner 6014's on Ebay for $4.97 each-- no brainer. I had to cut out a ton of wire due to it being a Fiat 500D harness but it all worked out and it IS prettier now.

Friday, January 26, 2018

The last couple of days have just been doing odd small jobs. I was finally able to install the correct accelerator cable. I temporarily installed all the lights with new bulbs so I can check the wiring system when I get to that point. As shown, I think I have all the wiring traced out. I need to find and install a new correct fuel gauge sending unit and buy a battery to provide voltage. If all checks okay, I will trim and dress the harness so it doesn't look like a rats nest. The plan is for black mini wire ties every 4-6 inches or so. The windshield wiper motor is temporarily wired up and grounded so as to operate without being installed. It will be correctly placed and securely bolted down after the wiring is finished. I have a big job (Corvair) coming in tomorrow so I won't be working on the Bianchina for a while. Should provide the time and money to import a sending unit from Italy. Be back soon.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

I was able to locate some very nice door trim strips to replace my bent and damaged ones. I removed the old fuzzy strips from them and buffed them to a high polish. I was also able to source some windshield wiper parts from the same source so a day or so was spent in dis assembling, cleaning, choosing the best parts, lubricating, assembling and testing the complete wiper system for the car. It also left me me with a lot of spare parts for any future needs. I need to purchase a three conductor switch, install it, temporarily install the wiper system and if all the wiring checks out, dress the harness so it doesn't look like a rats nest. The wiper system will then be permanently installed.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

I have spent the last couple of days wrestling with the wiring harness i am installing. I am adapting a Fiat 500 D harness to a Bianchina, some wires are too long, some are too short, some are a different color and some have the wrong kind of connectors on them. Each wire has to be traced its entire length to make sure it does what it is supposed to do. I feel that when I have it all installed I will be removing some of the wires that apparently are not used on the Bianchina. I am also planning on neatly dressing out the harness and possibly wrapping the wires to neaten up the luggage compartment---we'll see. I can only work on this for about three hours before my back starts hurting so it is going a little slow and I only work on it when the Corvair work is done.