Friday, May 15, 2009




I removed the relay rod and ordered a new one. That's how I discovered the tapered holes were drilled or reamed out. I couldn't figure out why at the time but it became very clear later on. The first picture shows the ham-fisted adjustment of the ball and socket joint using a hammer. The second shot shows the amount of wear in the joint, and it was still in use. Some people shouldn't own cars or tools. I didn't know whether to laugh or cuss. Cussing won! Huh!, guess I don't have this picture posting down pat yet. Number one is on the right side and number two is on the left. Number two is a pretty apt description come to think of it. The next picture is the welded coupler to axle joint. This is a sliding spline joint with about 1" of movement normally. Another ace repair! Well, shit! That didn't work right either but that is the axle on the far right. At this point I started dis-assembling the front suspension. Each piece was removed, bead-blasted, painted with POR-15 and re-assembled. The brakes were installed using new cylinders, shoes, springs, hoses, and all new steel brake lines with conversion fittings to American flare type. I then moved to the rear of the car and started removing the rear suspension. Each piece got the same cleaning, blasting and painting treatment as the front. I'm going to post this now and come back on with pictures until I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment