Tuesday, June 16, 2009



Decided today to fabricate some brackets so I could mount the engine on my engine stand in order to remove the oil pan. As you can see, they didn't turn out too bad. Upon removal of the oil pan, why was I not surprised to find--Tada!! silicone rubber. I used a gasket cleaning pad on my 3" grinder to clean off the old gasket cement, silicone and other assorted crud. I used the correct tap and chased all the threads except one hole, it had a broken bolt in it. After its removal, the last hole was chased and I turned my attention to the oil pan. I had to scrape the lead deposits off the bottom of the pan on the inside before putting it in the parts cleaner. When clean and dried, I blew high pressure air through the false bottom to remove the cherry seeds, pieces of old gasket and such. I then removed the dents I was able to get to and straightened the edges and the openings for the false bottom. It was set aside to dry overnight. If you look at the lower left corner near the flywheel between the two brown smears, you can see the broken bolt.

No comments:

Post a Comment