Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Well, Oxycodone and Morphine may be a magic potion but is sure is a bitch getting off of them. I had a nerve block shot scheduled for last Thursday morning and in my drug induced stupor I figured how will I know if the shot worked if I'm still on pain killers? So dum bass that I am, I quit taking them. Dry heaves, weakness, diarrhea, heavy breathing, couldn't talk without crying, irritability, loss of appetite, loss of motor function, super sensitivity to smell, distorted sense of taste all followed. My wife called the doctor and he said I'm experiencing with- drawal and put me back on them but in a decreasing dosage everyday until today, I'm officially off them and of sound mind again. The good news is the shot seems to be working so far, I have an appointment with the neurosurgeon Thursday morning to check my progress and determine my need (or lack of) for surgery. While floating around in la-la land, I had several ideas concerning the car. The trim strips on the rocker panels are not to be had anywhere. I had the bright idea to use 1965 Corvair rocker trim instead. I can remove the anodizing, cut them down to 49 3/4 inches, weld them back together, smooth and buff to a high gloss, clear coat and they are ready for installation. Not original but better than nothing. They look great and it's my car, so there. The other idea I had is to fabricate a rotisserie out of engine stands which just happened to be on sale at Harbor Freight, less than 1/2 mile from me. I bought two of them and started the project two days ago, working a little at a time. I'm amazed at how much muscle tone I have lost over this month. Also twenty one pounds. Don't miss the weight but I sure tire easily now. Anyway, I moved the car to the working bay since there was no Corvair work in house that needed that much space. I also brought over the lift and raised the car to a comfortable working height and started modifying the stands to fit. The first thing I had to do was take my plasma cutter and cut a slim wedge out of the neck and reweld it so the pivoting pieces were level. I bought new casters with bigger wheels so I could wheel the whole thing back into the other side of the shop when needed. Then the big job started, I am going to use the front spring mount as the front attachment point so all the suspension and brake parts had to be removed. I needed the" blue" wrench to get the nuts off the spring mounts. I ran a die over the threads to clean them up and bead blasted the nuts clean. The rear end was next, removing the suspension, brake lines, heater duct and decided to remove all the control cables also. I now have a very light, stripped down body all ready to mount on the rotisserie as soon as I fab the mounting pieces. I removed the rear cross piece that holds the motor mount and am planning on using the holes for the rear mount. All of this is for the easier installation and welding of the fenders and rocker panels. Also cleaning and repairing the rustouts in the wheel wells will be easier if I can tilt the car to a comfortable working position. Pictures will be coming soon. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment