Wednesday, February 6, 2019

This week is the beginning of the upholstery odyssey. I started with the small rear side panels where I plan to install the speakers for the radio. The process I am using is first a paper pattern. I then transfer that to board stock and check the fit. If I am satisfied I will make the panels out of hardboard (Masonite).

This is the paper pattern.
The cardboard for fitting purposes.
The Masonite with speaker and mounting clips.
And the foam padding glued on, they will be covered later on.

I then disassembled the original door panels to use as patterns. These were cut out, drilled for mounting clips and all necessary holes were cut in. The frame reinforcements were glued and stapled in and the door sanded The bottom toe kick panels were cut and sanded.
The center backing panels were cut to size, slots cut in for the mounting clips at the top, I fabricated the missing clips (2) and installed them.
One is facing correctly and one is backwards to show the clips. They slide into a very thin slot under the window to hold the top of the panel in place.


No comments:

Post a Comment