Saturday, October 10, 2009











I managed to get the fuel tank sent out for refinishing. Obviously before and after shots. I sent it to Tank Re-Nu in Rockwood Md for their complete treatment. Due to internal baffling and a deep fill pipe I didn't think I could successfully do it myself, so I bit the bullet and sent it off. They received it on Monday, evaluated it and called me with the estimate. I agreed to the price and was greatly surprised when it showed up at my door on the following Thursday. Four day service ain't too shabby. The process used is, first, chemically cleaning the tank, they then cut it in half, sand blast it with extra fine aluminum oxide, weld it back together, completely fill it with a liquid polyvinyl coating to insure complete coverage, the tank is then drained, the outside is sprayed with another type polyvinyl coating and placed in a 360 degree oven for ten minutes for curing. It is shipped back with a registration tag embedded in the coating, a warranty registration form and a lifetime warranty. It's not cheap but considering I couldn't do it and the fact that replacement tanks just became available at close to $1000 !!?? I feel I did the best thing to insure years of freedom from fuel and contamination problems. I'll get back to stripping the rest of the paint as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment